Alistair’s, Bignall’s and Jaguar Lount Woods
A ruined fortification in Ashby-de-la-Zouch. The castle played a prominent part in the Civil War. It began to attract visitors in the 19th century after Sir Walter Scott set a scene in his novel Ivanhoe there.
Beaumont Social Centre
Situated on Nottingham Road, Peggs Green, the Beaumont Social Centre is Coleorton’s village hall. Various activities take place there on a regular basis and it is also available to hire for private events and parties. There is a car park at the front of the building. Contact Nigel Beck for bookings by email or phone. Hire cost is £10 per hour with a minimum charge of £20.
Calke Abbey and Park
Calke Abbey is a grade one listed country house near Ticknall in Derbyshire. There are extensive grounds and walks available to the public and the Calke Explore visitor centre has seating, toilet facilities and refreshments.
Cloud Trail – Cycling and Walking
Cloud Trail is part of the National Cycle Network but is used extensively by walkers. Map available from the Tourist Information Centre Ashby de la Zouch (tel: 01530 411767). Worthington entrance with car park is approximately two miles from Coleorton.
Coleorton Wood is a six-hectare mixed, young woodland planted during the early days of The National Forest on the site of the former “Bug and Wink” colliery. It is owned and managed by Coleorton Parish Council. There are several seats and picnic tables throughout the wood. A local group of volunteers undertake various work in line with the Council’s woodland management plan. You can see what the volunteers do on their Facebook page .
The Communal Bakehouse is located on The Moor, south of the Angel Inn. For more information visit the Coleorton Heritage Group website.
Conkers Outdoor Adventures
120 acres of indoor and outdoor activities with over 100 interactive exhibits for the whole family.
Griffydam Primary School
Griffydam Primary School, located on Top Road, was officially opened in November 1936 with 60 pupils. The school continues to thrive today providing education for Early Years foundation (0-5 years), Key Stage 1(5-7 years) and Key Stage 2 (7-11 years).
The Millennium Garden is located at the junction of the A512 and The Moor. For more information visit the Coleorton Heritage Group website.
New Lount Nature Reserve
New Lount Nature Reserve is an extensive area of woodland and lakes on the site of the New Lount Colliery, the shortest-lived colliery in the area which opened in 1924 and closed in 1968. The nature reserve is owned by Leicestershire County Council. The Coleorton and New Lount volunteer group helps to manage the nature reserve as well as Coleorton Wood. You can see what the volunteers do on their Facebook page .
Free car park, open daily from 9am–4pm Pedestrian access is available outside of these hours.
Peggs Green Recreation Ground
Playing fields and play equipment for children with disabled access to the field. Managed by Coleorton Parish Council.
St. John’s Chapel
St. John’s is situated next to Viscount Beaumont’s Primary School, Ashby Road. For more information about the history of St. John’s, visit the Coleorton Heritage Group website. For information about church services, etc. visit the chapel’s Facebook page.
St. Mary’s the Virgin Church
Staunton Harold Reservoir
A 210 acre reservoir build in 1964 and managed by Severn Trent. It has a visitor centre and wildflower meadow.
Swannington Heritage Trust
Swannington Heritage Trust manages a number of industrial heritage sites including a restored windmill, Swannington Incline (part of Robert Stephenson’s railway) and archaeological excavations of Victorian coal mining buildings.
The National Forest
Coleorton sits in the area of the National Forest, encompassing 200 square miles across Leicestershire, Derbyshire and Staffordshire. Apart from the nearly 9 million trees planted to date, there are may attractions to visit and activities to take part in.
Viscount Beaumont’s CE (Aided) Primary School
The school was established and endowed by Viscount Beaumont in 1702, and was rebuilt by Canon Beaumont in 1867. Since then it has been extended and modernised but many of the original attractive features remain. Today the school is a co-education Primary Day School.