Coleorton Parish

Coleorton Parish in Leicestershire includes the villages of Coleorton, Coleorton Moor, Church Town
and Farm Town as well as parts of Peggs Green, Griffydam and Lount

AtoZ search | Site Map | Contact | About the website inc cookies

Maps

(Please note the copyright notices on maps. Do not reproduce without permission)

Map showing Coleorton Parish boundary (pdf 2.5MB) - based on OS map and annotated by Leics. C.C.

Read about past changes to Coleorton Parish boundaries >>

coleortonparishsmallNOMIS map showing population stats for 2011 >>

See Census pages for population in previous years.

 

 

 

 

 

1888 Map of Coleorton (British History On-line)
(The notation 4ft R.H. or 3ft R.H. refers to Rural Hedges - for explanation and other fascinating stuff about boundaries and hedges see www.boundary-problems.co.uk/boundary-problems/hedges.html)

First edition OS map no 63 1835

British History On-line - 1888 OS maps

Map of Leicestershire by J.Carey Engraver 1814

A Vision of History Through Time (inc old OS maps)

NW Leicestershire District Council boundary (Google maps)

Coleorton Village Heritage Trail map (1MB)>>

Mining Heritage Trail (pdf)

 


Coleorton Parish Boundary change petition

Have you ever wondered why the Woolrooms is not in Coleorton but Worthington Parish or why the new Glaze houses on Nottingham Road in Lount are? There are many historical reasons for where the boundary is now - but it is what it is.

Led by a group of residents, the Council is supporting a process to change the parish boundaries so that they more accurately reflect the village of Coleorton. At the January Parish Council meeting several options were discussed and the map below shows the one most people who attended the meeting felt could be the best. Note: this is not necessarily the final option. There will be a proper process and consultation of all residents, both within the current Coleorton boundary, those who are currently in another parish e.g. Ravenstone, Swannington, Worthington, and would be in Coleorton under the new proposal, and those who are currently in Coleorton but would be in a different parish (e.g. those in The Glaze at Lount, and Sinope). So obviously this is not an easy thing to agree on.

A petition to change the boundaries is being put to local residents and if it receives sufficient signatures a request will be sent to the Community Governance Review at the District Council who will organise the review and consultations.

Proposed parish boundary changes - click for larger map

This map shows the current boundary in orange and the proposed new boundary in purple. Click on map for a larger one which will open in a new window.

If you would like to sign a petition to support the change request then this is available at Coleorton Post Office. You can also send comments to Andrew Hogsden Clerk to the Council parishclerk@coleorton.org.uk

See article below about Coleorton parish boundaries in the past.



Coleorton Parish Boundary

The parish boundaries of Coleorton, Thringstone, Worthington, Swannington and Staunton Harold have all been a reflection of manorial systems which existed in the area some hundreds of years ago. Some of these manorial parishes had been established before they possessed their own parish church, although this is not the case for Coleorton. Within these manorial parishes the church was where individuals within the parish would be baptised, married or buried and where they paid tithes and other taxes. These ecclesiastical parishes have developed into the administrative parishes that exist today, with only minor changes being brought about through parliamentary acts.

Coleorton parish is almost certainly defined by the land owned by the Beaumont family, who in 1842 actually owned 97% of the parish. With the development of nonconformist churches in the early 19th century the Beaumont family were able to prevent any of these churches being built in the parish as they owned all of the available land. As a result of this both the Coleorton Methodist church and Baptist chapels were built on land which, at the time, was just outside the parish boundaries.

Pre 1866 (The Poor Law Amendment Act) the ecclesiastical parishes were responsible for local taxes, looking after their own poor, maintaining roads (such as they were) and dealing out justice where required. From 1866 onwards all areas that levied their own rates were re-defined as "civil parishes" and a dual system existed with both ecclesiastical and civil parishes existing for the same or similar areas.

St Mary's Church, which was dedicated in 1179, has been the parish church of Coleorton for many hundreds of years and the majority of today?s parish is a reflection of the ecclesiastical parish administered by St Mary's Church.

The Coleorton parish (civil parish) boundary has only been changed twice since parish, or manorial boundaries were established hundreds of years ago. According to C T Smith's "Populations of Leicestershire" these changes were in 1884 and 1936, and both were apparently brought about as part of central government changes.

In 1884 the area which was known as "Rotten Row", a hamlet of Thringstone parish, was transferred to Coleorton Parish. This area included what we now know as part of Lower Moor Road and also most of Stoney Lane. This resulted in approximately 194 individuals being transferred into Coleorton Parish.

In 1936 there were a number of changes between Coleorton, Swannington, Thringstone and a very small part of Worthington. The major part of this transfer was the transfer of what we now call Peggs Green, from Thringstone to Coleorton Parish, resulting in about 377 individuals being transferred. This was as a result of the dissolution of the parish of Thringstone, most of which is now part of Coalville.

There were also significant changes along the Coleorton/Swannington boundary with a net 46 individuals being transferred from Swannington to Coleorton Parish. There was a minor change between Coleorton and Worthington with 22 individuals being transferred to Coleorton Parish.